Saturday 14 June 2014

CARITAS Reitergasse 1 - NEU!

How is it that everything CARITAS puts out (websites, business cards, shopping bags and ads) is so cool?!

 On the bus today, I saw this:


And I was reminded that the new 'Concept Store' of CARITAS on Reitergasse is now OPEN!

On a personal note, I was very pleased to make the acquaintance of someone through a colleague of mine who works for CARITAS as a social worker consultant. CARITAS does wonderful, essential humanitarian work - I'm so happy to support their causes! :)

So I simply had to go...! 
 
Reitergasse 1, a block or two in from the Sihlpost tram stop.


I must say that I was a little disappointed with the secondhand "Concept" store. A couple was shopping in there already when I arrived, and even with just two other people the tiny store became quite crowded.
 
Not a very large store at all!

Also, the 'change-room' consists of tri-fold screens that the ladies in the shop help you arrange for modesty's sake. The poor woman who used the 'change-room' managed to knock all of the screens over at once and also the screen used as a wall to the office area. I felt badly for her - she was embarrassed, but really it wasn't her fault! I hope the staff build a proper curtained area soon. I'm sure they're motivated to come up with a better solution as well!



The shop had two long racks of ladies' wear, a dresser that had kids' and babies' clothing in it (but also pots, plates and bowls and other miscellaneous items), and shoes were kind of all over the store.



Speaking of shoes, I saw a pair from 'expensive' CARITAS on Birmensdorferstrasse that had been transported over here. They were still over-priced for the amount of wear, alas.
 
I like these stylish suede shoes (I liked them at the other store, too!), but not enough to shell out 45 Fr.

There was men's wear as well, though not much. I think the best deals were some of the framed paintings and artwork - some of them were reasonably attractive, and at 35 Fr. or so for a very large, glass-framed print in good condition, they became even more tempting.
 
I didn't buy a single thing. These tuxedo shorts were cute, but I was too afraid to try the 'change-room screens of doom'!

They also were selling a blue-glass soda-water dispenser (looked old, but in perfect shape), but it was 'correctly' priced for its condition and rarity (so.... not in my price-range!). They had a jewelry display case as well, but there wasn't anything that tempted me this time. It was hard to take photos because the store was so small and the racks and cases so tightly arranged!

The grocery store is at the corner, the thrift shop entrance to the left and the KulturLegi entrance is to the right.

CARITAS Reitergasse has a food market as well, but I wasn't sure if it was for everyone or just people with the KulturLegi card. I guess I should have inquired. ;) It was a small grocery shop that had lemons on special and other fresh produce. The store boasted low prices - if I lived nearby, I would check it out.

edit: 24 June - I did a bit of reading/translating, and I think the CARITAS Markt is strictly for those who are under-advantaged, on social benefits, or struggling to make ends meet. A lovely idea.

The offices for the KulturLegi programme are also in this one building (if you're under-employed or under-paid, you can qualify for this money-saving programme).

Sihlpost is the nearest tram stop (#3, 14). And 14 goes to Werd, home of the three Birmensdorferstrasse CARITAS's.

All in all, I have to say that I was underwhelmed by the Reitergasse Concept Store! Here are few the Pros, Cons, and Tips I've come up with:

Pros:
  • it's CARITAS - you can't go wrong supporting them! Friendly staff here, too (as friendly as the Im Viadukt location!)
  • this secondhand store might get the odd treasure in the future - I certainly suspect that they're going for a more 'up-market' / trend-savvy clientele in this thrift store.  The blue glass soda dispenser and the framed art were quite cool.
  • If you live in the neighbourhood and the CARITAS food market is a good and cheap option for you, then you can very easily and quickly pop your head into the thrift shop next door to make sure something great hasn't just recently arrived!
  • close to a tram shop (though all CARITAS's are easily accessible by transit)

Cons:
  • the thrift store is too small
  • the change-room is currently a klutz's worst nightmare: it's just free-standing floor screens!
  • limited selection because of small size of store
  • currently, some of the stock has been taken from other CARITAS's to help flesh out the store (hopefully with new donations the selection will improve!)
  • location is kind of in the middle of nowhere

Tips: 
  • Don't go out of your way to check this place out, unless you're already at Sihlpost or on Militärstrasse. That being said, the #14 tram stops here and on Birmensdorferstrasse, which is 'CARITAS central' with its 3 shops within a block. So you could hit up 4 CARITAS secondhand stores with one tram line fairly quickly, if you were so inclined.

That's about it for me on Reitergasse! Can't say I 'recommend it'... I doubt I'll be back there anytime soon, unless I happen to already be nearby.

TiZ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments! :)