Friday 30 May 2014

Brockiland Fahweid (Dietikon)

Coming close on the heels of my Brockiland post is this, a post dedicated to Brockiland Fahrweid-Dietikon!


Brockiland Fahrweid-Dietikon doesn't have a street address, which is a little disconcerting to those who have made a special trek to this out-of-the-way location. So I've pasted a Google Map that I modified below so you can easily find it on "Überlandstrasse" in Fahrweid: 
 
The walking route from the Bahnhof (green) used to take you right past another Brocki, Atelier 23. Then they moved the bloody thing without telling anyone. So I showed up, in the pouring rain... bah! ;) The full walk from the bahnhof to Brockiland takes about 20 minutes. The closest bus stop is "Fahrweid, Limmatbruecke" (301, 302, 304 all from the Dietikon Bahnhof), and the walking route from there is shown in yellow. Either way, wear comfy shoes! Orange is the construction area out front (not pictured on Google). Click image to enlarge.

Currently, a construction site with a tall red crane is obscuring the store from the roadway.
As it is with the downtown Brockiland, a most unwelcoming entryway!

I took a gazillion photos for your visual interest.... :)


The entryway. Loving the COOP shopping baskets!
Some very grand furniture, some with grand price tags too (literally, 1000's)
The cream-coloured sofa was something like 300 Fr, while the near one was 850. 
Clothing and textiles are upstairs.
 
"Other stuff" (I don't know what to call it!) is upstairs on the other side. Sporting equipment, garden hoses and tools, suitcases, animal cages, more chairs, canes, baskets, rocking deer (like a rocking horse, but not a horse!) and other assorted things are banished to this out of the way area.
Friday, around noon. Very busy!
So many books!
I loved so many of these awesome retro plates.
I wanted an excuse to buy the creepy kissing lamp! Couldn't find a valid one, though.
I was tempted by this "Grandmother's Cookbook" until I realised I couldn't read any of it. Note the book price list above.
Belts are now apparently 2.50 Fr. (2 for 5 Fr.), according to a Steinstrasse price list!
Some belts I tried but decided to leave behind. The red one was cute, though!
The Steinstrasse list at Fahrweid! Hmm! Prices being standardized, maybe?
I could've bought a bunch of scarves. Kind of wish I had, now!
WHAT is a Molton?! I have THREE different Schweizer-Deutsch dictionaries and none of them have 'em! A Google image search suggests to me that it's a mattress pad?!
Again, not Steinstrasse. :)

Some very retro tablecloths!
Nice wall hangings and cushion-covers! Nice as in 'nifty' - not my thing, personally!
Fabric for 10 Fr.... or pillowcases for 2 Fr.! ;)
Pretty sure I spotted a winning entry into an ugly sweater contest!
In Switzerland, they don't have rocking horses but rocking deer!
Upstairs, on the 'stuff' side.
See? Stuff. Don't know how to better label it!
Lots more dining chair sets upstairs!
Looking down at the cash desk.
The main floor, from above.

Rather than rehash all of my Brockiland pros, cons and strategies, I'll simply summarize the differences between the two sites.

Notable differences in the Fahrweid Brockiland compared to the Steinstrasse 'Main' Brockiland:

  • Larger selection of (and floor space dedicated to) furniture
  • Industrial warehouse and not an underground parkade (has two 'upstairs' that do not connect - one side is large household items and small furniture (left of the entrance), and the other side is linens and clothing)
  • Stairs are rickety - hold on to the bannisters!
  • Altogether less dank and musty than 'main' Brockiland
  • Has a self-serve coffee-machine cafe (!) within it!
  • Less selection of everything, with the exception of furniture
  • Pricing is different - not necessarily more or less expensive, though
  • Baskets by the door are assorted (colours, from different stores, etc.), not the uniform grey 'Brockiland' ones you see downtown. These aren't for sale (I don't think!), these are for your shopping at Brockiland, even if they say 'Migros' or 'COOP' on them ;)
  • Lots of parking and bike racks outside (though I'd be worried that people might think the bikes are for sale!)
  • Definitely harder to get to, and no amenities nearby (unless you count the Shell petrol station!)
There are many, many similarities to the downtown Brockiland, too, including crazy old people who will drive you mental (some aren't even old), general squalor and scuzziness of the place and the items, the lady on the till is also English speaking and also black and is also a sweetheart, and the pricing is, as usual, ultimately determined by the lady at the cash desk. 

Good deals here are the clothes (less competition for them, but also less selection) and the belts (now 2 for 5 Fr.). Washcloths (GREAT for cleaning rags!) are 0.50 each, which I loaded up on once. I've also found a few bowls and other serving ware here, though there really does seem to be less selection than downtown.

All of this for 24 Fr.! My bar at home is so awesome now! 2 champagne flutes, 2 white wine glasses, an AWESOME decanter, 2 tumblers, and 4 gold and coloured glass cocktail glasses! Sweet deal!


BEST DEAL EVER was... okay, I'm exaggerating. I'm on such a thrifting high from my visit today, that I have to gush enthusiasm for the place! BAR-WARE. Seriously - decanters, wine glasses, champagne glasses, tumblers, scotch glasses, brandy glasses, cocktail glasses galore!!!!

I got all of this, textiles too (4 pillowcases, 2 monogrammed handkerchiefs (for a friend - can you guess her name?!), and a tea towel I'm going to use as a table runner) for 24 Fr. TWENTY-FOUR! VIER UND ZWANZIG! :D

I did a little happy dance. I didn't get the nice black lady from Schlieren (she had another sweet lady step in for her, a short white lady with curly black hair), but I was still treated very well indeed! Even with my awful Deutsch! :) 

Plants and planters by the entrance

That's all from me on Brockiland Fahrweid! Enjoy your trip wayyyyyyy out here! I hope it's worthwhile!

TiZ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments! :)